Rick Kress, ACFRE, Principal of Kress Consulting, founded the firm in 2001 as Gift Planning Associates. He was a nonprofit executive for 20 years, including vice president of development at two Top 100 Hospitals and a Crain’s Detroit Business Best Managed Nonprofit. He holds the ACFRE credential, one of about 100 people worldwide with the Advanced Certified Fund Raising Executive designation. This is the highest credential offered by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, the world’s largest association of its kind.
Rick's specialized expertise is in major gifts, planned gifts, fundraising management, executive coaching, ethics, and governance.
He has served as executive counsel to over 100 nonprofits and nearly 100 capital campaigns throughout Michigan and beyond. Clients have included Top 100 Hospitals, hospitals and healthcare systems, healthcare organizations, universities, social service organizations, and religiously-sponsored nonprofits. Rick:
- Has served on 8 nonprofit boards as chair or officer;
- Is past president of the Greater Detroit Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Executives (AFP);
- Serves as vice president of the Planned Giving Roundtable of Southeastern Michigan, part of the National Association of Charitable Gift Planners (NACGP);
- Has been a frequent speaker for nonprofit groups at the international, national, regional, and local levels;
- Has over 30 years of experience as ordained clergy with an ecumenical focus. He serves as clergy at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, Rochester, Michigan.
At times, Kress Consulting works with a few, highly qualified, independent consultants to provide the precise level of skills and expertise clients require. They supplement the work of the firm as needed in grants, prospect management and research, annual giving, and systems.